Civil Engineering is an engineering field that deals with planning, analysis, design and construction of structures such as bridges, building, dams, airports, ports and harbors, highway, tunnels, tower and water distribution systems. The profession has expanded to embrace new concepts on urban and environmental planning, sustainable development and new technologies in line with environmental protection, restoration of degraded landscapes and conversation of historic structures. Emphasis is given to the economic, efficient and sustainable use of natural resources and built environment.
Accreditation: PAASCU Level II, COD
Program Educational Objectives
The XU Civil Engineering (XU CE) graduates, formed and trained through Jesuit liberal education are deeply rooted in the Catholic faith and are persons of competence, conscience, and commitment. Thus, consistent with these goals, the XU CE program is geared towards producing graduates, who, within three to five years from graduation, have:
- (Competence) Become competent and engaged civil engineering professionals who are proficient in the application of their knowledge and skills in the design, construction, maintenance and management of reliable infrastructures and/or technical activities in support of civil engineering projects.
- (Competence) Manifested professional growth and career advancement through satisfactory progress towards positions of higher responsibility, completion of an advanced degree, or by successful transition into the allied fields of business, government, academe, etc.
- (Competence, Conscience, Commitment) Worked as effective, conscientious and committed team members or leaders who embody ethical and professional excellence rooted in Jesuit liberal education and Christian humanism. They have equipped with excellent communication and people skills and are actively participating in their community, church and professional organizations.
- (Competence, Conscience, Commitment) Become significant contributors to society by creating civil engineering designs and solutions that are safe and sustainable. Being men and women for others, the XU CE graduates discern, decide and do what is right and strive for truth and will seek to support others, especially in the context of widespread poverty in the country.
- (Competence, Commitment) Will pursue an active life-long purpose of advancing their professional expertise, either by attaining advanced degrees in engineering or furthering research activities that tackle on critical areas of civil engineering field.
The graduates of the XUCE program shall demonstrate the following:
- The ability to apply their knowledge of the fundamentals in mathematics, physical and engineering sciences to solve civil engineering problems.
- The ability to design and conduct civil engineering experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data.
- The ability to design, build, improve, and install systems or processes in structural design, geotechnics, hydraulics and water resource engineering, transportation engineering, highway engineering, environmental science, and construction technology and management in order to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical and sustainability.
- The ability to work effectively, responsibly and committedly in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams
- The ability to recognize, formulate and solve civil engineering problems.
- The broad education necessary for the understanding of the effects and impacts of civil engineering projects on nature and society, and of the civil engineers’ social and ethical responsibilities in accordance to Christian and Ignatian precepts.
- The specialized knowledge in at least one field of civil engineering practice;
- The ability to read, write and speak effectively in English and a local language; and to utilize modern means of communication.
- Recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in lifelong learning and to keep current of the development in a specific field of specialization.
- The ability to apply the appropriate skills, techniques and modern engineering tools necessary for the practice of civil engineering.
- Knowledge of contemporary issues.
- Knowledge and understanding of engineering, business, public policy, leadership and management principles as team member or leader to manage projects in multidisciplinary environments and various fields of practice, including the community and the church.
- The ability to preserve and promote Filipino historical and cultural heritage.