Mechanical Engineering is concerned with the generation, transmission and utilization of heat and mechanical power. It also includes the design and production of mechanical tools, machinery and their products.
The Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering curriculum included lectures and laboratory instructions on designing equipment and machines for setting up, commissioning and operating equipment for industrial plants. Areas of specification are Machine Design, Power Plant Heating, Ventilating, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVAC/R), Industrial Machinery, Instrumentation and Control.
Accreditation: PAASCU Level II
Program Educational Objectives
The XU Mechanical Engineering (XU ME) graduates, formed and trained through Jesuit liberal education are deeply rooted in the Catholic faith and are persons of competence, conscience, and commitment. Thus, consistent with these goals, the XU ME program is geared towards producing graduates, who, within three to five years from graduation, have:
- (Competence) Become competent and engaged mechanical engineering professionals who are proficient in the application of their knowledge and skills in basic sciences and engineering principles in the design, innovation, improvement, supervision and management of both thermal and mechanical processes and systems in the presence of practical constraints to solve real-world technical problems.
- (Competence) Manifested professional growth and career advancement through satisfactory progress towards positions of higher responsibility, completion of an advanced degree, or by successful transition into the allied fields of business, government, academe, etc.
- (Competence, Conscience, Commitment) Worked as effective, conscientious and committed team members or leaders who embody ethical and professional excellence rooted in Jesuit liberal education and Christian humanism. They have equipped with excellent communication and people skills and are actively participating in their community, church and professional organizations.
- (Competence, Conscience, Commitment) Become significant contributors to society by producing designs and solutions that are safe and sustainable. Being men and women for others, the XU ME graduates discern, decide and do what is right and strive for truth and will seek to support others, especially in the context of widespread poverty in the country.
- (Competence, Commitment) Embraced active life-long purpose of advancing their professional expertise by continuing professional education, attaining advanced degrees or furthering research activities that tackle on critical areas of the mechanical engineering field.
The graduates of XU ME program shall demonstrate the following:
- Ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, physical and engineering sciences to solve mechanical engineering problems.
- Ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data.
- Ability to design, innovate and supervise a system, process or component to meet desired needs within realistic concerns.
- Ability to work effectively, responsibly and committedly in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams.
- Ability to identify, formulate and solve engineering problems.
- Recognition of the need for and ability to practice professional, social, ethical and moral responsibility that is rooted in Christian and Ignatian precepts.
- Specialized knowledge in at least one field of mechanical engineering practice.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English and Filipino/local languages and utilize modern means of communication.
- Understanding of the effects and impact of engineering solutions on the environment and the society in a comprehensive context.
- Ability to use techniques, skills and modern engineering tools necessary for mechanical engineering practice.
- Recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in lifelong learning and to keep current of the development in a specific field of specialization.
- Knowledge of contemporary issues.
- Knowledge and understanding of engineering, business, public policy, leadership and management principles as team member or leader to manage projects in multidisciplinary environments and various fields of practice.
- The ability to preserve and promote Filipino historical and cultural heritage.